Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Opinionated LiveCD?

We all know that Ruby on Rails is opinionated. The first two releases of the RailsLiveCD tried to be all things to all people. I am coming to the realization that it is impossible to keep that dream. My dream and intention for the RailsLiveCD is for it to serve as an introduction to the world of Rails for people who might not be inclined to do lots of installing. It's also nice that it serves as a portable development environment for people who want to bring their environment with them (add a USB key for storing code and you can work from any computer!). But everybody seems to want RailsLiveCD to support their specific way of working on Rails. I have to tell you that it's exhausting. What I'm going to focus on is providing one GOOD way of working on Rails, even if it isn't the best, even if it doesn't involve Emacs and even if it isn't perfect. By providing one good way to do Rails, I'm hoping I can open the door for more adoption. If you like it, there's an INSTALL button right on the desktop. If you don't, well there's always the Synaptic Package Manager, you can tweak it to your little heart's desire. Or eject the CD and throw it in the trash. Either way, you'll have investigated Rails a bit, which makes me happy.

The new version of RailsLiveCD will be 0.3.0 and will be released in time for RailsConf2007.

No comments: